Sunday, April 26, 2015

East End Brewing Keg Ride!

Yesterday was cold. It snowed here in Pittsburgh. That didn't stop 400 cyclists from participating in the East End Brewing Keg Ride! That is right, 400 people willingly showed up in 35 degree temperatures to ride in a circle (more on that later) and drink fabulous beer!

My ride started at the Panther Hollow Trail with my friend Brian, his father and friend Zack. From there we rode to East End Brewing. I noted the climb out of Panther Hollow is so much easier when it isn't 18 miles into your ride! Arriving at EEB a little before the crowd we were able to listen to the band who was playing and relax in the cold overcast morning air! Note: For the life of me I cannot find the name of the band who was playing. Please inform so I can give a nod!

This part of the day was very fun for me. This is the first ride I have been on since 2013 and I was able to see so many people that I missed from the community. It is a shame one person I respected took all this joy from me. I won't let that happen again! So, I tip my hat to those important cyclists who reminded me what it is all about!

Then after the kegs were strapped securely to the bikes we rode! The card they gave us in the beginning of the day suggested we were headed to Homestead and therefore, my group was prepared to go there.

Strapping the Keg to the Cargo Bike!

We made a quick stop to go single file through the Wheel Mill then stopped up the block to wait for everyone. Seeing the Wheel Mill was cool and made me wish I rode mountain bikes! The old location of EEB has since been demolished, but was only a block away. So while we waited there for everyone to go through the Wheel Mill, EEB poured out a little beer on the site to pay tribute to where it all started!

The former site of East End Brewing.
Then we were off, headed in a direction we all thought for sure was the Waterfront. It is amazing how many people will blindly follow 3 kegs on bikes to a destination unknown for the promise of beer! We wound through Squirrel Hill, Wilkinsburg, Frick Park and eventually found ourselves turned back around completely and headed back to East End Brewing! That's right folks! They tricked us! When we made it back to EEB and got inside we found the band warmly playing and beer flowing from all directions! Smiles were had by all and it was a great ride! After drinking our beer in our commemorative glasses my group headed to the Waterfront and I headed home.

Awesome friends, good cycling, great beer, big smiles. This is the way life should be. Plus or minus the beer... and cycling... and friends... er... uh.

Cheers,

Fauna




Brian doesn't know how to smile. Apparently. 

Pedal Pale Ale Keg Ride, 2015 glass.

Eleven years of bicycle delivered beer


No comments:

Post a Comment