Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Making the Blues Look Easy

That's correct. This blog is becoming less about biking and more about trying something new as often as possible. Last night I found myself at Peter's Pub in Oakland. I know what you are thinking. "Why the heck would you ever go to Oakland to dance?" I will tell you I never would have. I went because I have always wanted to learn to dance. I recently met some people who dance quite well and quite often so we decided I should tag along and give it a try. I took my friend from work with me for moral support and so I wasn't the only one looking silly.

Turns out, if you dig the blues the place to be on Tuesday nights is Peter's Pub. Not knowing what I was getting myself into, I took the opportunity to learn some blues dancing. If you are interested in learning I would recommend the 8pm til 9pm hour where you can get a quick lesson before the real fun begins. At 9pm the music starts. It ends abruptly at midnight and you are awkwardly shooed onto the street- immediately.

The Dance:
It looks simple. It looks easy. Do not let them fool you. Pulsing to the music is not as easy as they make it look. In fact, I am convinced they were all using voodoo magic. I don't think they let newcomers in on it. It is a fairly easy thing to get used to until the person leading you decides to walk, spin and twirl you. Although by the end of the night I think my friend and I got the hang of it. Being there with a few guys who knew what they were doing was helpful.

The Rest:
I was feeling anxious that day. More than normal so I was looking forward to relaxing with friends, dancing and laughing. All those things happened however, I was not prepared for the amount of people (strangers) I would be dancing with and meeting and talking to. It was like nothing I have ever done before. I will warn you newbs- if you go Blues Dancing you'd better be ready to sance with everyone there. At least once. Even if their breath stinks and even if they talk too much. It seemed say "no" to a dance was not a thing. So be ready for that. In other words, do not go on a day you are feeling socially anxious.

My Experience:
I loved it! I would like dancing to be a little more up beat, so perhaps Blues isn't the best for me but the space was comfortable and the people were all very friendly! I recommend you all go try it and make sure you say, "Hello!" to all my new pals!

Cheers,
Fauna

1 comment: